This post shows you how to calibrate the compass on the Phantom 4 drone. The compass calibration is the same for both Phantom 4 and Phantom 4 Pro.
You should calibrate the Phantom 4 compass if the DJI GO 4 app or the status indicator prompts you to calibrate.
This could be when you have moved to a new area or if you feel the the Phantom 4 drone is not flying correctly or is not reacting to your touch as it should.
This article covers the steps to calibrate the Phantom 4 compass, some information on the status indicator lights and what to do if the calibration fails.
How To Calibrate Phantom 4 Compass Steps
- Choose an open area outside to carry out the Phantom 4 compass calibration
- Remove the propellers before you start the compass calibration
- Tap the Aircraft Status Bar in the DJI Go 4 app and select “Calibrate”
- A popup message appears asking you to “Press start to begin compass calibration”
- Next, a pop up will show you how to hold the Phantom 4 to calibrate the compass
- Hold the aircraft horizontally and rotate 360 degrees
- The Phantom 4 status indicators will display a solid green light if successful
- Hold the aircraft vertically, with the nose pointing down
- Then rotate it 360 degrees around the center axis
- Again, the status indicator lights will be green if the compass calibration is successful
What To Do If Phantom 4 Calibration Is Unsuccessful
Please see the below Phantom 4 aircraft status indicators diagram. You can see that a “Red Flashing” indicates an IMU error. An alternate red and yellow flashing indicates that a compass calibration is required.
Re-calibrate the compass again and a couple more times if the Phantom 4 status indicator still shows red or is blinking red or flashing red, then yellow.
If the Aircraft Status Indicator lights is still blinking red and yellow after the calibration procedure has been carried out 3 times, then move to another location and try the Phantom 4 calibration procedure again.
If the compass calibration continues to fail, then the next step is to calibrate the Phantom 4 IMU. After the IMU calibration, then go through the compass calibration again. You may also want to check to see if there are any new firmware upgrades which can fix many flight problems. Here is an article shows you how to update the Phantom 4 firmware.
Notes On Phantom 4 Compass Calibration
Calibrate the Phantom 4 compass away from strong magnetic interference such as cars, metal bridges and steel reinforcements which are in many buildings.
Remove mobile phones or other ferromagnetic materials from your pockets or body while calibrating the Phantom 4 or any drone.
Phantom 4 Status Indicators Diagram
Notice the last line which tells us if your Phantom 4 status indicators are showing alternate red and yellow flashing, then a compass calibration is required.
Here is a nice tutorial which shows you how to calibrate the Phantom 4 compass and also the IMU. You can also find many more DJI Phantom 4 tutorials here. Also here is an excellent list of Phantom 4 quadcopter parts which also includes upgrades and accessories.