Here is the Parrot Bebop 2 firmware update instructions using the FreeFlight Pro app or with a USB flash drive and Micro USB cable.
Below, you will also find tips on what to do if the bebop 2 firmware won’t update including information on troubleshooting Bebop firmware issues.
There are only 2 ways to update the Parrot Bebop 2 firmware. Both are very easy. Below are instructions for both including videos.
It is very important that the Bebop 2 update goes smoothly first time. You certainly don’t want the firmware update to stop or give an error while doing the update.
There is a possibility if the software stops during the Bebop 2 update, then your drone will not be able to fly. At the very least you will have to start the process all over again.
Make sure you have plenty of time when doing the Bebop 2 firmware upgrade and have no interruptions while doing the upgrade.
Latest Bebop 2 Update Versions
At the time of writing, the latest Bebop 2 firmware update is version v4.2.1. You can find the latest Bebop 2 firmware here and download it onto a computer for the USB firmware installation.
How To Update Parrot Bebop 2 Using FreeFlight Pro
- Have your Smartphone / Tablet and also Bebop 2 with fully charged batteries.
- Connect your smartphone to the Internet.
- Open the FreeFlight Pro application on your smartphone.
- On the left hand side, press the “update” button.
- Select the new update version and press on the Start.
- The update file will now be downloaded by the FreeFlight Pro application.
- On your smartphone, go into the settings and connect to the Bebop Drone’s WiFi network.
- Launch the FreeFlight Pro application again.
- Press Check for updates. Then a popup box will ask you to install the update.
- Press OK and wait until the installation has completed.
- The installation can take up to 30 minutes.
- The Bebop drone will then restart automatically.
- To check if the Bebop drone is correctly updated, launch the FreeFlight Pro software.
- Press Fly & Film, then settings and the version number is displayed in the general information.
Parrot Bebop 2 Firmware Update Using USB Flash Drive
To update your Parrot Bebop 2 drone through USB, you will need a micro-USB flash drive or a USB flash drive with a female USB/micro-USB cable.
Unfortunately none of these come with the Parrot Bebop unless you purchased a bundle deal which included them.
But you might have a USB flash drive and the cable around the house. If not ask a friend or pop down to your nearest computer store.
Instructions to Update Parrot Bebop 2 Firmware By USB
- Have all batteries fully charged on your computer and also on the Bebop.
- On your computer connect your USB flash drive.
- Your USB flash drive should be empty and be FAT32 formatted.
- Open your Internet and go to Parrot Bebop 2 support web page here.
- Look for DOWNLOADS on the top left hand side.
- Click Software update to download the latest Bebop 2 firmware update file.
- The file will download automatically and will have a name similar to bebop_update.plf.
- Copy the firmware file (bebop2_update.plf) to the empty USB flash drive and place it in the root directory.
- Next, connect the USB flash drive to the Micro-USB port on the Bebop 2 quadcopter using the OTG cable.
- Switch on your Parrot Bebop 2 quadcopter.
- The Bebop 2 drone will begin updating.
- The Bebop 2 firmware update can take up to 30 minutes.
- The update will be complete when the drone reboots.
Notes on Parrot Bebop 2 Update By USB Flash Drive
- Have all batteries fully charged on computer and Parrot Bebop 2.
- Make sure the USB flash drive is formatted in FAT32.
- It is best to have an empty USB Flash drive for the Bebop 2 firmware upgrade.
- Do not rename the Bebop 2 firmware file when you download it.
- Copy the Bebop 2 firmware directly onto the flash drive. So don’t put it in a folder.
Note: Before or after doing the Parrot Bebop 2 firmware update, it is a great time to check the parts and components on your quadcopter. Check to see if any parts are bent, cracked or broken. You can also remove any dust or dirt and have it looking great again.
What To Do If Parrot Bebop 2 Won’t Update
If the Bebop 2 won’t update then try the following;
- There are 2 ways to install the Bebop 2 update. Try with FreeFlight Pro App and also with USB as above.
- If updating using your Smartphone and FreeFlight Pro app make sure your are connected to the Bebop 2 WiFi.
- If you feel the update is not going across from your Smartphone, then stop other applications running in the background.
- Is the problem is with downloading the firmware onto the USB drive, then try another USB Flash drive.
- Have you enough space for the update. It is approximately 25 MB, which is not too big.
- If the Bebop 2 update doesn’t start to automatically when you connect the USB flash drive through the cable. Then switch off the drone and back on again with the USB flash drive still connected.
- Also the step above does not work, then manually drag and drop the Bebop 2 firmware across from your USB to the Parrot Bebop 2. Both will show up in Windows Explorer.
- You could also use FTP (File Transport Protocol) using an application such as FileZilla to copy the file across from the USB flash disk to the Bebop 2.
- Some times the update doesn’t work because of a corrupt temp file on the Bebop 2 drone. Use FileZilla to FTP onto your Bebop 2. In FileZilla connect to 192.168.42.1 on port 51. Then list all the files. Look for a file called “bebopdrone_update.plf.tmp”. Delete this temp file and exit. Then start the Bebop firmware update again.
If Bebop Doesn’t Fly Correctly After Firmware Update
If your Bebop 2 doesn’t fly correctly after an update, then bring it back in straight away. Then try the following;
- Calibrate the Bebop 2 compass.
- If calibrating doesn’t fix the Bebop 2, then try the latest firmware again.
- If problem still exists, then perhaps there is a bug in the new firmware update. Downgrade your Bebop 2 to an earlier firmware release. Instructional video below.
- Reset the Bebop 2 to the original factory settings.
Parrot Bebop Parts, Upgrades And Accessories
If you find any parts which need to be replaced, you can find a terrific range of Parrot Bebop 2 upgrades and parts here.
Parrot Bebop 2 Update firmware Video
Now, to finish off here is an excellent video, which also shows you how to do the Bebop 2 firmware update.
The below Parrot Bebop 2 setup video will show you how to connect your smartphone to the Parrot Bebop 2 WiFi and also to update the firmware to the latest version.
This next video shows you how to downgrade the firmware on your Bebop 2 drone. You may need to do this if you cannot get the latest firmware to install. Or if you install the latest Bebop 2 update and your drone does not work or fly correctly.