Here is the simple DJI Spark firmware update instructions to bring this mini quadcopter to the latest version. These DJI Spark upgrade instructions include updating the quadcopter, the remote controller and the Spark battery. The DJI Spark remote controller firmware can also be updated at the same time or separately.
By upgrading to the latest DJI Spark firmware version, your quadcopter will have the latest fixes to any issues, along with new features for both the Spark quadcopter and remote controller.
Firmware is software which is embedded into the hardware components of you DJI Spark quadcopter. The Spark firmware update may have fixes for gimbal, camera, flight controller, motors and even the remote controller.
Each new Spark firmware upgrade will be different than previous updates. At the bottom of this post, you will find some of big Spark firmware fixes and new features added in the recent updates.
If you are having any DJI Spark flight issues or it is not hovering correctly, then you should calibrate the Spark IMU and compass. The Spark calibration will fix the majority of issues.
DJI Spark Firmware Update Using Go 4 App
- Check to see that you have at least 50% battery charge in both the Spark Remote Controller and Quadcopter.
- Switch off the remote controller and Spark Quadcopter.
- Remove propellers from your DJI Spark.
- Connect the remote controller to a cellphone or tablet device through the charging port using a micro USB cable.
- Next power on the remote controller and the Spark quadcopter. Make sure they are connected.
- Connect your cellphone to your Internet WiFi as the Spark download is quite large.
- Open the DJI Go 4 app from your smartphone or tablet device.
- If there is a firmware available, the DJI Go 4 app will notify you that new Firmware update is available.
- Click “Download Firmware To Begin”.
- Tap on the “Update Now” button in the top right of your screen which is highlighted in red.
- Click on the blue “Download Now” button which will start to download the latest firmware release from DJI.
- When the Spark firmware file has completely downloaded, tap on the blue “Start Update” button which appears further down the screen.
- When the upgrade process has finished, a pop up box will appear saying “Update Complete”. Click OK.
- The Remote controller will start beeping.
- Restart both the Remote Controller and DJI Spark quadcopter to complete the update.
DJI Spark Firmware Update Using DJI Assistant 2
Here are the steps on how to update the DJI Spark firmware using the DJI Assistant 2 software.
If you haven’t already downloaded the DJI Assistant 2 software for your Windows PC or MAC, you can download the DJI Assistant 2 software here. On this link, you will also find the DJI Spark Quadcopter, Remote Controller manuals along with firmware release notes.
- Connect the aircraft to your PC or MAC with the micro USB cable.
- Make sure your computer is connected to the Internet.
- Open the DJI Assistant 2 Application.
- Enter your DJI Account details.
- Then select SPARK which should be listed in connected devices.
- Click Firmware update in the left at the top.
- Choose the latest firmware version.
- Click Update Now to start the firmware update process.
- Restart the Spark after the firmware update has completed.
Here is a quick video which shows you how to easily update the DJI Spark firmware on your quadcopter and remote with some tips if the Spark firmware update fails
DJI Spark Battery Update Instructions
If you have more than one DJI Spark battery, then you will need to update each DJI Spark battery firmware individually.
Now, you can update each Spark battery on the same date and they will all receive the latest firmware. You would especially do this if their was a mandatory firmware update which was to fix an issue with the DJI Spark battery.
Or you can update a different Spark battery when a new firmware release becomes available. There are quite frequent DJI Spark firmware updates releases so you could rotate the batteries so that each battery will receive a firmware update over a couple of months.
DJI Spark Firmware Update For Remote Controller
You can also update the firmware on the DJI Spark remote controller separately to the quadcopter. Have at least 30% battery charge in your DJI Spark remote controller before starting. It is best to have over 50% just in case the update takes longer than expected.
- Turn on your cellphone WiFi and connect to the Spark remote controller WiFi.
- The Spark WiFi will be listed something like “Spark-RC-451e78” etc.
- The default password should be 12341234.
- Then open the DJI Go 4 app.
- If a new firmware is available, there will be a notification in red on the home screen of the Go 4 app.
- Tap on the “Update Now”.
- Disconnect from the Spark Remote Controller WiFi and connect to your Internet WiFi.
- Go back to the DJI Go 4 app and click on “Download Now”.
- Next the firmware will start downloading and you will see a progress bar.
- When the Spark firmware download has completed, a popup message stating “Connect the remote controller and confirm the battery level is over 30%”.
- Click ok.
- Go back to your WiFi Settings. Disconnect from the Internet WiFi and connect to the Spark RC WiFi connection.
- Open the DJI Go 4 app and the Spark Remote controller firmware will start updating automatically.
- It will take up to 5 minutes for the Spark RC firmware to update.
- When finished, a popup box will say “Update Complete”. Click ok. Then restart the Spark remote controller.
Here is a nice video which we show you how to update the DJI Spark RC firmware using the DJI Go 4 app.
DJI Spark Firmware Update Checks And What To Do If It Fails
If the DJI Spark Firmware update fails, then you can try the following.
- If possible fully charge your Spark quadcopter, remote controller and mobile device, PC or MAC which is doing the download.
- Remove the propellers from the Spark during the upgrade.
- Delete the downloaded copy of the firmware from your Smartphone, PC, MAC or Tablet
- Make sure that you have a good clean Internet Connection for the download as you don’t want the download to be interrupted.
- Connect to the DJI Spark page and download the firmware update again.
- When updating using a Smartphone make sure after you have downloaded the firmware that you don’t receive phone calls or have other apps updating (Facebook, Twitter etc) while you are in the middle of updating the Spark or remote controller.
- Leave the DJI Go 4 app or Assistant 2 app open during the process.
- Never move the Spark, remote controller or you cellphone during the process.
- When complete restart your devices. Go out of the DJI 4 app and back in and see if the app is now showing the latest version.
- Using the DJI Assistant 2 software, you can also downgrade the firmware. You could also do this if the latest firmware won’t install or if you have an issue with your quadcopter after the update.
DJI Spark Firmware Update Versions
It is always a good idea to read the release notes for every DJI Spark firmware update. Then you will know what issues are being fixed or new features being added.
It can also happen that after you have updated the firmware, you might notice an issue with your quadcopter, gimbal, camera or remote controller etc. Reading the Spark release notes, then you would know whether the update targeted the particular component.
Here are some of the bugs fixed and features added in the last few DJI Spark firmware updates.
DJI Spark Firmware Update Version v 01.00.10000 – 2017.07.19
- Added compatibility to use an OTG cable to connect the Spark remote controller with an Android mobile
DJI Spark Firmware Update Version v 01.00.0900 – 2017.12.21
- Optimized battery management to improve stability.
DJI Spark Firmware Update Version v 01.00.0800 – 2017.12.13
- Added support for DJI Goggles RE (with firmware v01.00.00.02 or higher).
- Improved firmware updating stability.
DJI Spark Firmware Update Version v 01.00.0701 – 2017.10.31
- Added the Sphere Panorama feature (with DJI Go 4 app v4.1.14 or higher).
- Added Dynamic Home Point for ActiveTrack and Gesture modes (with DJI Go 4 app v4.1.14 or higher).
- Low Battery Return to Home will no longer trigger automatically in Gesture mode.
- Users can now save WiFi frequency and channel setting (with DJI Go 4 app v4.1.14 or higher).
- Improved firmware updating stability.
- Improved Security.
DJI Spark Firmware Update Version v 01.00.0600 – 2017.08.21
This firmware update included a critical battery update.
- Added support for DJI Goggles.
- Fixed issues where users cannot set the flight distance, as well as insufficient ascent for Dronie and Helix Quickshots in some regions.
- Optimized Palm Launch.
- Optimized battery management to improve stability.
- Fixed an occasional issue where the remote controller wouldn’t function normally after updating firmware.
DJI Spark Firmware Update Version v 01.00.0500 – 2017.07.26
- Improved photo resolution to 4k in Gesture and ActiveTrack modes.
- Added a new gesture for video recording.
- Added an option to adjust gimbal tilt sensitivity.
- Added a 180º Pano shooting mode.
- Improved overall gesture recognition and reduced the probability of falsely recognizing the selfie gesture. The Wave gesture is now disabled by default while flying indoors or where the GPS signal is weak to ensure safety. It can be enabled in the DJI Go 4 app.
- Fixed an issue where photos failed to save and the shutter sound would not be made while taking photos in Gesture mode.
- The Spark will now exit QuickShot automatically when a control stick is pulled opposite to the direction of of flight. Flight distances for QuickShots can now be set in the DJI Go 4 app with greater maximum distances while using the remoter controller.
- Flight directions for Circle and Helix can now be adjusted in the DJI Go 4 app.
- Spark firmware fixed issue where the quadcopter did not ascend high enough with the Dronie Quickshot and optimized Rocket.
- Optimized the FPV gimbal mode in Sport mode to keep the gimbal from reaching its endpoint.
- Fixed issue where the remote controller would occasionally disconnect from the Spark.
- Spark firmware update fixed a rare issue where the remote controller could not turn off.
- Optimized battery level calculation.